Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Well, It's a Guess

I just got a new prescription for my glasses and the headaches are going away. I am closer to looking at a screen and not having headaches, though turning my head quickly causes a visual imbalance for me.

I just watched a video from Numberphile and they were talking about Brown Numbers. I won't go into what a Brown Number is (they do a great job at explaining it) but I will talk about what they said about how many Brown Numbers there are. A mathematician conjectured that there are only three pairs of Brown Numbers.

Mathematicians makes conjectures all the time. It's a kind of hypothesis but with different rules. The point of conjectures, as I understand it from the video, is that a mathematician has a set of rules, sees it work for a finite number of values, and then makes a guess that the rest of the (infinite amount) of values that the rule set is true. That is the short of it. However, the conjecture must be a guess that has some merit or quality that could make it a worthy conjecture. (I am using worthy to distinguish off the cuff guesses from formal problems.)

My previous article about assumptions fits the form of conjecture perfectly. However, I don't think any mathematician worth their weight in salt would shake a finger at my conjecture. Again, to reiterate what I said in that earlier article, my conjecture attacks the very foundation of mathematics. It says that the current basic rules of mathematics is nothing but a simplistic way of viewing the complete mathematical universe, that we are blind to the myriad ways that the universe can be constructed outside our experiences.

The point of this article, however, is not about my conjecture but if I should name my conjecture. To name it after myself (I'd use my real name and not HardWearJunkie) would be grand. Proven or disproven, my name would be remembered as a nearly insurmountable mathematical problem. It would be like carving your name into the earth using a galactic shovel and digging as deep as the Grand Canyon. Or at least it would feel like that.

Alas, I am just a layman and creating my conjecture is nothing but a science fiction author reaching for the next universe.

No comments:

Post a Comment