Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Our Civic Duty

I live in California and registered to vote. I have voted on who will be President of the United States of America, who will be my representatives in the US Senate and House, and who are my local leaders for, I think, the next six years. I have voted on bond measures, state propositions, and changes to our state judicial system. Hopefully I voted with enough wisdom for my beautiful California Republic to continue being beautiful and honest.

So I voted. So I did my civic duty. Yay.

I did it for one day. One lousy November day. One lousy day in the over seven hundred days of the period until the mid-term elections. One lousy day where we do not get a do-over.

What the hell are we all doing between elections? Do not gripe to me about having the time to vote: this state has EARLY VOTING. The thousands of hours running up to the election is the reason that you at least know about the major ballot referendums and local issues plaguing your community. There is no excuse to not vote.

And there should be no excuse to not participate. Whatever town, city, or state you live in you should at least tune in once a month. I, myself, resolve to check on the political landscape once a month. God knows California can go down the tubes in a moment's notice.

Do not stop doing your civic duty after the election. Do it at least once a month. If anything you won't be surprised by the ballot comes two years later.


No comments:

Post a Comment