Friday, November 18, 2016

Interacting With Another World

I have Carpal Tunnel Syndrome: a nerve where my hand and wrist meet is pinched and causing pain (I think it's pinched). To mitigate the pain I have a "splint" that keeps my hand in neutral overnight and while I work. Unfortunately this also makes playing video games on my computer near impossible because I play with keyboard and mouse. The control scheme allows me to play first person "shooters" with higher accuracy than a controller.

On the other hand, controllers allow me to play games without incurring pain in my wrists because my thumb and wrist is in a different position than it would be on my Logitech M570 Trackball Mouse. If only I can move my accurate tracking from the mouse to the controller then I would be set.

Enter the Steam Controller. The controller has triggers and shoulder buttons plus a third pair of buttons where the third, fourth, and fifth fingers would rest. It also has the standard face buttons of X/Y/A/B and the stick control. What it also has are two haptic control pads that react to my touch. The Left pad is okay but it's the right pad that gets me excited: I can use it for mouse control. That lets me play first person shooters with the accuracy of a mouse but I do not get wrist pain from the CTS. Awesome!

I have tried setting up Borderlands 2 for this and the haptic control pad requires a new level of training for my brain. I am confident that I can use the Steam Controller and will be able to stream my gameplays again.

No comments:

Post a Comment