Saturday, May 6, 2017

A Hangover Seems Better Than This Crap (Rant)

Once upon a time I was a Republican. I believed in a few of the ideals and supported conservative lines of thought. For the longest of times I could not be swayed by anyone's argument because I was on that road towards complete conversion.

I don't know what hit me, but another thought raced through my head:

The Republican Party does not give two shits for me.

There might have been a series of laws passed that I could not take advantage of because I happened to not be white. I was finding more and more programs that I could qualify for since I was not white; then they got slashed during Republican controlled congresses. I was left out while I saw wealthy white people get bigger and bigger slices of the government pie. (And it was both the state pie and federal pie.)

This past week saw the House pass a bill that could force me to live without coverage. I read an article that quoted a Republican representative: "Nobody dies from not having health care." He also did not mention that thousands of people die every year from not being able to afford health care.

Once upon a time I was a Republican. I look back on that time and tell myself, "I was ignorant and selfish." I never want to be that again.

No comments:

Post a Comment