Monday, February 27, 2012

Review: The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

I demand Suzanne Collins be hung in effigy! How dare she writes with a nom de plume that includes one of my favorite names in, like, forever! And she has the gall to write a story that has a slow build-up followed by a sweeping speedy scene that culminates toward an orgy of blood, trepidation, and fear as her main character, Katniss Everdeen, fights for survival not only of herself but also of her questionable partner Peeta, the butcher's son.

The above paragraph is not my true feelings, but I do have a little beef with the writing, just because I have pet peeves and they need to be aired.

WARNING: SPOILERS!

The Bad: The beginning is slow going, but just because it is background development. Without this development Katniss, the main character (and a snazzy name to boot), would not have developed properly and the reader would not have the deep connection they will eventually achieve. I just wished that the beginning had a bit bigger bite.

Whoever edited the book (I got the paperback) must have used a grammar checker instead of proofing the paragraphs because I kept running into sentences that do not stand on their own. I could see from the context surrounding these "questionable" sentences that a semi-colon would have sufficed to make a connection to the previous sentence; there were at least three instances where I stopped to reread the ink on the page. It wasn't just that clarity was sacrificed but also my speed reading through the story. (I'm impatient when I want to know what happens next.) Whenever the grammar broke I lost my suspension of disbelief, and that is jarring.

The Good: This story is a roller coaster ride after Katniss volunteers. The climb in suspense builds with the train ride to the Capitol; the twists and turns as her adviser, Haymitch, trains her in the politics of the training days leading up to the Hunger Games; and the plunge into the arena as the actually killing began. I won't go into specifics, but the effect of first person in this story is perfect for what Suzanne Collins had in store.

Her connections with the other competing tributes are also interesting because there is so much emotion tied up with these "kids" when they actually kill each other. Katniss is one character you want to root for.

In a Nutshell: This is a book you want to pick up. There is nothing subtle about the action and the "romance" is not forced nor is it unwanted. I look forward to the next book in the trilogy: the ending of this book promises much more intrigue than I initially suspected.

No comments:

Post a Comment